When you perform your monthly tire pressure check it is also important to visually inspect your tires. Tire failure can be caused by a number of factors, not just pressure.
- Look for and remove any foreign objects or debris that might have become wedged between the tire treads.
- Check for irregular wear patterns as these may mean your tires need to be rotated and/or your wheels need to be realigned. Rotating tires from front to back and from side to side can reduce irregular wear. Check your owner’s manual for specific information on how frequently the tires should be rotated and the best pattern for rotation. If you do not rotate your tires, different tread wear between front and rear tires could lead to adverse vehicle handling.
- If you feel vibrations bring it to a certified technician at Austin INFINITI.
A wheel alignment adjusts the angles of the wheels so that they are positioned correctly. This adjustment maximizes the life of your tires and prevents your car from veering to the right or left, which can result in losing tire tread. Tire tread provides traction, which prevents your vehicle from slipping or sliding. Tires have built-in tread wear indicators. A method for checking tread depth is to place a quarter in the tread with George Washington’s head upside down and facing you. If you can see the top of George Washington’s head, you are ready for new tires.
PLAY YOUR PART
- Under inflation results in unnecessary tire stress, irregular wear, loss of control, tire blowouts and accidents.
- Improper tire pressure will lead to more trips to the gas station. Gas mileage is reduced by .2% for every 1 PSI (pound per square inch) your tire pressure drops below its recommended level.
- A tire can lose up to half of its inflation pressure and not appear to be flat! We recommend that you check your tires pressure every month.
- A bad jolt from hitting a curb or pothole can throw your front end out of alignment and damage your tires.
- Have a tire dealer check the alignment periodically to ensure that your car is properly aligned.
- Regularly rotating your vehicle’s tires will help you achieve more uniform wear.
- Unless your vehicle’s owners manual has a specific recommendation, the guideline for tire rotation is approximately every 6,000 miles.
- Advanced and unusual wear can reduce the ability of tread to grip the road in adverse conditions.
- Visually check your tires for uneven wear, looking for high and low areas or unusually smooth areas. Also, check for signs of damage.
For more information: www.ustires.org
Come into the Austin INFINITI service department and get a complimentary tire inspection on any vehicle you own. No appointment needed for this service.